Mothers Trust Us to Deliver
As one of the busiest labor and delivery and maternity centers in Missouri, we've earned the trust of moms-to-be because we provide family-centered care and individual attention in a warm, caring environment. Our highly-trained, expert team includes board-certified obstetricians, available 24 hours a day, to care for all patients, including those with high-risk pregnancies.
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Missouri has designated Freeman Maternity Center as a Blue Distinction Center, recognizing its expertise in delivering quality specialty care, safely and effectively. Freeman Maternity Center was recognized by Newsweek Magazine, in partnership with the Leapfrog Group as a Best Maternity Hospital in 2021. Freeman was one of three hospitals in the State of Missouri to receive this recognition, and the only one in Joplin!
Designed with privacy and comfort in mind, Freeman Maternity Center features home-like birthing suites and private postpartum rooms. Our spacious mom and baby rooms permit mothers and babies to room-in together for an enhanced bonding experience. Additionally, a state-of-the-art infant security system for the protection of our youngest patients.
We deliver more than 1,700 babies every year – that's one baby every five hours! We are proud to introduce you to some of Freeman's newest arrivals. We offer you the opportunity to post your baby’s photos online, on a well-traveled billboard in Joplin now on KSN/KODE TV!
Services We Offer
Freeman Maternity Center physicians, nurse midwives, nurses and support staff are dedicated to providing compassionate care. Through the course of your delivery experience, your caregiver educates, assists and explains your care.
- In case of emergency, Freeman Maternity Center requires IV access for all patients during labor.
- Pitocin is administered through IV after placenta delivery to allow uterus contractions and to limit bleeding.
- A baby monitor is used to watch baby's heart rate during labor. The mother may be intermittently monitored.
- If the mother is a Group B streptococcus (GBS) carrier, she will receive antibiotics during labor.
- Dedicated anesthesia staff will review pain management options. Your choice of anesthesia, or none at all, is supported by our staff.
- Baby will receive a vitamin K injection and antibiotic ointment for the eyes by the nursery staff.
- Mothers have the option to keep their babies with them in their room as much as they would like. They can also use the maternity center’s newborn nursery.
- Mothers have the option of delayed bathing, which is encouraged to regulate blood sugar and temperature, and to promote successful breastfeeding. Newborn baths may be given at the bedside in a Bathinet! Please ask your nurse if this is something you would like!
- Freeman Maternity Center does not offer water births.
Maternity Center Visiting Hours
- Limit of two visitors at a time while in Labor and Delivery. Visitors may switch out at any time.
- No children under 18 allowed in Labor and Delivery.
- Postpartum visiting hours: 7:00 am - 7:00 pm
- Limit of 4 visitors at a time. Visitors may switch out at any time.
- Spouse or designated loved one may visit anytime and stay overnight
We encourage you to think about your preferences for labor and delivery, and review them with your physician or midwife prior to delivery. (A plan is not required for delivery – it is just an option.) Keep in mind that having a plan does not guarantee your labor and delivery will go according to that plan. Changes may need to be made.