Compassionate, Specialized Care
Palliative care is specialized medical care for people living with serious illness. It focuses on providing relief from the symptoms and stress of a serious illness. The goal is to improve quality of life for both the patient and the family.
Our team and our partners include physicians, nurses, social workers and chaplains to address physical, emotional and spiritual needs.
Palliative care seeks to:
- Respect patient autonomy, values and decisions
- Continually clarify the goals of care
- Minimize symptom distress at the end of life
- Optimize appropriate after-hospital referrals
- Reduce unnecessary interventions
- Provide emotional support for families
Dr. Chris Black now offers an outpatient palliative care clinic located at Freeman Center for Geriatric Medicine at 931 E. 32nd Street in Joplin. For more information about the outpatient clinic call 417.347.4374.
For more information on Freeman Palliative Care services, please call 417.347.4094.