Fortunately, I can be treated with physical therapy instead of surgery at this time. However, I planned to train this summer to complete a century (100 mile) bike ride in August with a group of women. Unfortunately, due to my diagnosis, that goal will have to be put on hold. So, if you are also sidelined, try these ideas this summer (with your physician’s permission) to stay healthy and fit while you recover.
- Walk briskly for 30 minutes, three to five days a week
- Visit the farmers market weekly and fix a meal using a fruit or vegetable you haven’t tried before
- Consume at least 64 ounces of water daily, and more as temperatures rise above 90 degrees
- Stretch major muscle groups at least two to three times a week
- Meditate daily and reflect on your blessings
- Volunteer to help at a summer event and cheer on the participants
Remember: you may be facing or have faced a challenge in the past, but you are not defeated. Allow yourself time to recover, set new goals and rise above the challenge. Wishing you a safe and relaxing summer!