What are your thoughts on living to be 100? I would like to live to be 100, as long as I am healthy and independent. Most of us do not wish to have poor health as we age or have to be dependent on our families for daily needs. You may be wondering how you can live independently to 100. Studies suggest that only about 25% of how long people live is determined by genetics; the other 75% is determined by lifestyle and daily choices.
In searching for the secrets of those who have lived a long and healthy life, many centenarians (people who are 100 or more years old) share the same behaviors, habits and personal traits. As you read through the list, if you aren’t already practicing one of these tips, you might consider making it part of your healthy lifestyle. Many centenarians:
- Eat a mainly plant-based diet that consists of legumes, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
- Lead an active lifestyle. Engage in regular low intensity physical activity on a daily basis such as walking, working in the garden, chopping wood, mowing the lawn with a push mower and raking leaves.
- Do not smoke.
- Have a clear goal in life – a purpose or reason to get up each day. Continue to learn and educate yourself throughout your life.
- Belong to a strong religious community. The act of worship is a habit that can provide more good years.
- Have a rich social network of family and friends, which provides opportunity to slow down and can act as a stress reliever.
Hopefully this information will provide you with food for thought on changes you could make to add years to your life. You have nothing to lose – only time to gain. If you would like more information, bluezones.com can provide additional information on living longer. Here’s to good health for all!