Critical Care (ICU)
Rely on us
Patients rely on the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for lifesaving treatment. In the ICU, physicians lead critical care services and oversee the care of critically ill patients. Our specialized team of critical care physicians, nurses and respiratory therapists at Freeman Hospital West provides exceptional care in our state-of-the-art, 33-bed ICU and 7-bed Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit (CVICU).
ICU visiting hours
5 am - 6 am
10 am - 6 pm
9 pm - 11 pm
Please refrain from calling nurses after visiting hours.
We encourage family members to visit in the ICU. We work to provide the best possible care and protect the privacy of our patients. You can help by observing the following:
- 2 people at a time may visit the patient. Visitors must wear shoes and appropriate clothing.
- We encourage family members to go home and get proper meals and rest.
- Because of the high risk of infection and emotional stress, children under 12 are not permitted to visit patients in the ICU.
- Please do not leave children unattended in the waiting room.
- Please remain in the patient's room or the waiting room and avoid congregating at the nurse station.
- You may be asked to leave the ICU at any time so our team can provide patient care, administer procedures or handle emergencies.
- From time to time, equipment alarms may sound. Please do not attempt to adjust equipment.
- Please refrain from disruptive behavior, such as loud or inappropriate conversations or arguments.
- Food and drinks are prohibited in patient care areas and rooms.
- No live plants or flowers are permitted in ICU rooms.
- Use cell phones only in designated areas and rooms.
- Freeman is not responsible for personal items left in patients' rooms.
- Please ask a nurse before using any electrical devices.
- Personal care items, such as deodorant and toothpaste, can be purchased at Freeman Gift Gallery.
- Please contact a nurse before entering a room marked "isolation."
To maintain communication with family members and ensure the best possible care for patients, we ask families to choose a person to speak for the family and to the nurses about the patient's condition. Please give nurses the name of your representative once he or she has been chosen.
Cafeteria hours and information
Helpful phone numbers
Patient Care Advocate: 417.347.4693
Social Services: 417.347.6614 or 417.347.4644