Garden Harvest Chili Recipe
Posted by Susan Pittman, RD, LD, CDE, on December 03, 2015
When the weather begins getting cooler, nothing is better than a bowl of delicious, hearty chili to warm you up! This recipe for garden harvest chili is chock-full of fall vegetables – and it’s diabetes-friendly.
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
In a large saucepan, sauté the red pepper, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, butternut squash and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until squash is almost tender.
Stir in remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Serves 7. Nutritional analysis per serving: 193 calories, 5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrates, 0 fiber, 8 g protein.